I have written a few articles and blog posts about medical malpractice. A company recently published a study of medical malpractice claims from 2012. Some interesting findings are:
- New York had the highest dollar amount of total payouts for 2012, $763,088, 250.
- 48% of all payouts came from only 5 states (New York, New Jersey, California, Florida and Pennsylvania).
- The vast majority of payouts were from settlements; only 5% of payouts made it to trial and were received from a judgement.
- Texas and North Dakota had the lowest, per capita payouts.
- The highest percentage of malpractice claims were due to failure to diagnose.
Diederich Heatlhcare 2013 Medical Malpractice Payout Analysis.
Links to some of my articles on Medical Malpractice:
Bailey, R. Resident Liability in Medical Malpractice. Annals of Emergency Medicine (January 2013).
Bailey, R. Medical Liability Reform: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. What’s Up in Emergency Medicine (June 2011). https://www.emra.org/content.aspx?id=583
Bailey, R. The Litigators Lions Pit: The Top 10 Medical Malpractice Issues Every Resident Should Know. What’s Up in Emergency Medicine (March 2011).